Saturday, August 09, 2008

Confidence + degree + skills = job


recipe for landing a jobIn my earlier post I have mentioned the above formula and said after AeSI, this is the recipe for landing a job. I ventured that if one can develop this 3 while studying for AeSI then you need no training and he or she is ready for the job,

In this post I would like to talk more about it and go in depth of what I meant by each of the term.


Confidence!

What is confidence? Confidence is your belief in yourself. It’s the belief that you are able to take on the work assigned to you. It’s the belief that you are able to apply your knowledge to get results. So how can an AeSI student build his confidence? First it’s passing his or her degree, that's one major confidence booster. IF you have passed with honest effort, you are already on your way of being confidence. It comes with preparation.

For me passing 4 subjects at one go was a major boost to my confidence. In section B, first semester I took up propulsion 1, 2, 3 and aerodynamics 1 as my subjects and studied for them, and did a marathon study along with Natrajan sir!!! And after my last semester, without waiting for the results to be announced I came to Bangalore and joined NAL as an unpaid training. This was best decision that I took in regards to AeSI and it really paved and concreted my confidence. It showed me the knowledge that AeSI has imparted us.

Confidence comes by preparation. By honestly studying for the exams, and getting all fundamentals and basics in your fingertips. Confidence comes with seeing the results of your efforts.

Wikipedia has a good post regarding how to build confidence. Read it and most importantly apply the points!!


The one I liked most is
"Try to make yourself talk positively at all times. When you hear yourself saying you can't do something, stop and say you can. Unless you try, you will never know whether you are able to or not."

Degree
The next part of the equation is degree. Complete the AMAeSI degree. It will enable you to say that you are one of the best aeronautical engineer in india!! Yes Read it here, here and here. It is this degree that enables these persons to say that they are best in the world. And then we all have the biggest inspiration Mr. Bishnujee Singh. He began from AeSI degree. As Shah Rukh Khan says in the recent HP advertisements, think big. Once you have made your mind that you are pursuing the AMAeSI degree. Forget the fact how tactless, careless, unsympathetic AeSI folks are . Be proud of your degree. It’s the only thing that should matter. As I said in my earlier post “tips for getting employed in the aerospace boom”, taking pride in your degree is the most important thing IF you don't respect it NOBODY else will.

Skills.
A company requires person who are not only knowledgeable but the one who can apply that knowledge to some practical work out of which the company benefits. And this is where your skills came. So as mentioned in post titled “things to do in your last semester”, make it a point to know what are the skills that the companies are looking for and began building them in your AeSI days. This is the most important area that you have to work for. In my case I have begun earlier, I knew I had a knack of programming so I began with that skill and set a daily 30 minutes goal for that. I developed it so that it became my prime reason for getting the project trainee job in NAL. I didn't have access to CATIA or other design and analysis software like NASTRAN, ANSYS then, but if I had I am sure I would have chalked out a similar plan for that... So most important thing AeSI students can do first know what skills are needed and when they are in last or 2nd last semester of AeSI, they should begin developing them. Set small challenge and daily goals to accomplish them.


Well this completes the recipe.. If you have all the 3 you are job ready and can hit send to send your resumes along with cover letters and I am sure there's nothing that can stop you from getting that job.

What are your thoughts to this? Do you think there is some other ingredient to it that I missed? Please do share your opinions in the comments.






Search This Blog