Wednesday, September 03, 2008

How I stayed abreast to new develoment in Aerospace while doing AeSI


A while back i present some of the steps from AIAA that presented tips and things that folks can do to stay ahead in your chosen career. The tips were very useful and among the many tip , one of them was "Stay abreast of new developments in your field....."

So how do I stayed abreast to the new developments in your field. I want to tackle this topic today.


While i was in AeSI, the resources were very limited, net access was 80 rs per hour at the cyber cafe and speeds were dismal and penetration of Indian aerospace news was nothing to talk about. But then also there were this 3 sites that i always visited to keep myself updated in what's happening in aerospace. Now my repertoire of sites has increased many fold but this sites are still relevant and are still present in my browsers address bar.

So here they are.

NAL's pasteborad.

This is only primary source that i had back then that covered indian aerospace industry. It mainly talked about NAL but also covered the various aerospace conference, events that happened in indian aerospace industry. So this was my most visited site in 1999 and early 2000. It still is as you get to know what NAL, my first place where i worked is doing. Read the development of saras, RTA, hansa and many other indian stories here. Now of course we have indianaeronews blog that religiously follows and inform us of the recent stories happening in indian aerospace.

www.NASA.gov was the next site the i regularly visited back them, now my visit to this site are quite less but back then. It excited me and i remember after every visit from cyber cafe i came with abundant enthusiasm about aerospace and at the new technology that NASA is working. As my roommates will vouch, this was only thing i talked about during those time. It was really exciting and today though my visits have decreased but i know, as i have already mentioned here, NASA is the ultimate destination for any aerospace engineer. And for those who don't know, an AeSI'ian among us is already working in NASA.


Science at NASA

Apart from the main site of NASA, the other site that i visited was its sister site named sciece.nasa.gov. It only talked about technology, about the stuff that is getting made or done. It was another source of excitement for me and i still visit this site to know about what's happening. What new material is being developed. How people will live on mars and how NASA is preparing for it....

So this are the 3 sites that made my days back when i was in AeSI. So tell me what are your aerospace sites that you visit to stay abreast in aerospace? What site you hang out to get to know what's happening in aerospace industry.

As mentioned earlier you can stay abreast with indian aerospace industry by following IndianAeroNews blog.






Search This Blog