Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The halo effect and AMAeSI exams

When I was in school, my teacher always used to insist that answer your best question first.

He has stated this so many times that it has become a part of my exam mentality.

Almost all exams I have given after class vii I have answered my best question first.

I was recently reading this book and it mentioned halo effect. The effect of the first impression.

The author, a university professor mentioned that while checking papers he felt that if the first question went well, then the rest of the answers he scored were on average better. If doubt crept, the professor tend to lean towards his first impression.

So he observed that a student scoring good points in first questions, usually got more marks than the other.

Similar thing happens while interviewing someone, if the first question is answered well then for the rest of the interview, halo effect takes control and the guy sails through and little gaps in his performance are ignored or justified, but the opposite happens if the first impression is bad.

How can this help you in the upcoming exams?

Ponder over it. And if you believe the halo effects works then why not use it to your advantage?


Best of luck for your exams!!


You might want to read this posts on how to study for aesi exams http://my-aesi.blogspot.com/search?q=study&max-results=100

Search This Blog