Thursday, September 17, 2009

What can we learn from my collegue at work?

A collegue of mine is complaining me everyday that he is stuck, he is
doing uninspiring work? He is not learning anything new!

I don't know about him but I see an opportunity there. I see time that
he can utilize to learn whatever he wants to but all he does the same
repeatative job at the same slow pace.

He is using excel and is doing the same kind of work for a year now
but he is poor in excel, by now he would have been fluent in that tool
but since excel is everywhere he disregards it. Shuns it. Hates it.

He is ignorant of simple if formula and of simple techniques of excel.

If this is attitude he approaches his work he will remain in the same
rut till he quits.

Its not what you do that will teach you but how you do something?
Opportunities don't come to ideal work, it springs from the laps of
challenging work.

So this is what I suggested him.
1. Automate your repeatative work.
2. Do the work at a faster pace.
3. Utilize the remaining time doing small experiments in excel.
4. Read more about the tool you are using.
5. Aim to be an expert in it.
6. No tool is unimportant.
7. Your value is not it the number of tools you know but in the things
you can do with the tools you know.

I wish I could do some more for him. But I know he is the one who has
to walk. All we, as external person, can do is point him the right way.

As always I am curious what do you think?

Read more tips on learning tools like catia, nastran ansys etc. at http://my-aesi.blogspot.com/search?q=tools

Search This Blog