Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How can I do my best in exams?

How can I do my best on the exam?

A lot of people have asked me this and the following passage is the best answer to that question.


"How can I ace my exam?" If you're a student, you are naturally concerned with how you perform on examinations. But, ironically, focusing on the impending test itself is not the best way to improve your performance on it.


Suppose in a few months you were going to be asked to do thirty push-ups. You could concentrate on what to eat the day before the push-up competition, and what shirt to wear that's not too tight or too loose, and how to give 110% at the time of the challenge. Or you could slowly, over time, increase the number of push-ups you can do each day between now and then so that it would be no effort to pump out thirty push-ups at test time.

"How can I do my best on the exam?" is not the best question to ask in school. Better questions include these:

"How can I become more engaged in the course material? "How can I become more engaged in the course material?"
"Could I give a lecture explaining the material?"

These questions lead to actions that you can take—becoming an active listener, joining a study group, or, even better, tutoring other

From the book - The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking by Edward B. Burger, Michael Starbird

Search This Blog