Thursday, July 14, 2005

Advantages of Studying in Library!!

I remember when I was in standard II, my mom used to sit near me with her knitting, as I pretended to study. Then finding me day-dreaming and smiling at my imaginary adventures that I took while holding the book in my hand, she remarked. "Beta one hours of concentrated study is more than 6 hours of toil". Ignorant I was at that time, I came out of my reverie and mumbled the words on the book and within minutes was back with my plays in the imaginary world, plotting planning things I will do next on the playground. But Now as I began to write this I remember those words of mom and that is what a library gives you. A concentrated hour of study. So here are the advantages I got, saw as I spend my time in library last semester.


1. Its a silence zone. So no disturbance and everyone in and around the place knows that and keeps there conversations to minimum and low. So The greatest advantage of library is the silence that you may not get in your room. Sometime the room mates are talking, sometimes the CD player is on, sometime just conversations about movies or the opposite sex ( ;-) who can resist topics like that!) But in a library its silence Though not pin-drop silence as Mr. Modok, my chemistry lab assistant always wanted in his lab! But silent enough to hear the buzz of the overhead fan!

2. Second advantage is the studying atmosphere that you get there. Either they are empty or if filled everybody else will be studying and so you are always in the atmosphere of studies and this increases your concentration and even if you start getting distracted , a look at the next guy deeply immersed in the book in front of him gets you on track. And since minimum conversation is allowed there's none to comment on your "arre pata hai aaj wo dehi thi sarak par!!!" So you end up killing that damsel in your thoughts and come back to the book at hand.


3. In your room we stay half naked. [and in case of my roommate he is 90% naked and thank god he is not 100% :)] And when we sit to study, we give our legs and body the full freedom to loiter around while we struggle with the jet propulsion’s numerical or trying to grasp how a lathe works!!! So we always don't sit on proper chair and table and even if we start our studies there but eventually the pillow creeps under our head. So studying in library with its chair and table doesn't allow this and we have a concentrated and good postured study there.


4. What happens when you get some doubts in your room, You first check your notes, then maybe your book, and if all else fails you give a shout to your roommate [ though some lazy fellows like me use the last option first!! ;-)] And even then, if the problem is not solved you end up leaving that whole subject let alone the topic and maybe and most probably find yourself chatting with that friend of yours on that topic until you get out of it and get to other worldly things!! But in library, you have the vast reserves of books and if you don't find it in Anderson, get Caruthers, if not in Caruthers you can browse through Hutton etc. so The range of books increases your chances of clearing your doubts and even if someone is present to ask you being in library talk only the needful and it reduces the unnecessary talk that may start if it were not a library, so you have more effective study.

5. And being is library has one good advantage. If you feel bored or tired of one subject you can easily switch to the next subject. This is not always possible in rooms as once you get up, you loiter and converse more than that you will do in a library. Even if you get out of the library for a break It won't take as long as the break you might take at home. And in my experience, the rest period in library is 50%shorter and more effective than the room's.

Due to the presence of so many wide variety of books in the library, you may even relax with a non-subject book in which you have interest in. For myself I have relaxed myself so many times by reading model-building books in my library in between Andersons and Suttons!!!


So folks, library is not a rack of orderly kept books but much more and as mom would have said a single hour in library is worth 3 hours in room!! And what more, I know, my mom will be certainly happier reading this.

Search This Blog