Thursday, June 09, 2005

Point 2 Point vs Large Transport

I read an article by Randy Baseler,vice president of marketing for
Boeing Commercial Airplanes,where he wrote...

"On my recent trip to Europe I flew non-stop from Seattle to London.
But my destination was actually Geneva, so I had to make a connection
at Heathrow Airport.

Do you think that if there was a non-stop option of Seattle to Geneva
I would have taken that rather than have to connect in London? Of
course I would! That would have saved me 2 or 3 hours, the hassle of
connecting, and a bus ride at Heathrow.

That's the point of "point to point" travel. Seattle to Geneva. Miami
to Taipei. That's what people want. Not to have to schlep through huge
hub airports.

If I were to ask anyone at Boeing the difference between the
strategies of itself and Airbus, I'd guess they'd say that Boeing
believes in point to point transport, taking people exactly where
they'd like to go. Whereas Airbus believes in large transport to major
hubs with smaller planes carrying passengers to less-major
destinations. "

So this is the big issue in the commercial aviation on which this
two giant companies are competting for. So what's your take on Point 2
Point vision of Boeing and the large transport vision of Airbus!! Who
is right? What will succeed? Do let us know!!

Search This Blog